The student news site of Portage Central High School

What life as an Extroverted Introvert is like

Brianna Martinez

Making plans always involves a great internal battle between my desire to go out and socialize with my friends and my need to be alone and at peace in the comfort of my bed watching one of my many Netflix shows.

I promise I’m not one of those people who constantly mutter “I hate everything” under their breath while walking the halls at school; but I’m not exactly someone who totally enjoys socializing all day, either. One word I’ve found that accurately describes my particular personality type is “Extroverted Introvert”.

By definition, and extroverted introvert is someone who is outgoing and enjoys socialization, but recaptures their energy through alone time.

If I’m being honest, I was inspired to write this little column after Cosmopolitan posted a story about extroverted introverts. When I saw that someone else had put into words the internal struggle I had been facing for years and years; I was ecstatic! For those of you who didn’t watch Cosmo’s Snap story this Tuesday, let me quickly summarize what it’s like to be an extroverted introvert.

First off, having people over is the most trying thing I do…ever. I get so excited that my friends are coming and it all seems great, until someone gets too loud or they stay too late and I just want to crawl into my bed and read….but I can’t. Because people. Cue the dramatic sighs.

It’s almost like how you feel before you’re about to give a presentation in class and you’ve prepared well. You sit there thinking “Yes, I can do this. I WANT to do this!”. Then you get up there and you cannot remember what compelled you to do it in the first place.

To put it simply, being an extroverted introvert is like fighting a daily battle…against yourself. You both lose and win every time, because part of you is happy  to be out and about, and the other part really would rather be spending time alone.

While it’s annoying at times, I honestly wouldn’t trade this personality type for anything. I get to have the best of both worlds, and what’s better than that?