The student news site of Portage Central High School

Will Apple deliver to consumer needs with the release of the ‘new’ iPhone SE?

Alyson Koh

Curious to hear about how the new smaller and affordable Apple phone? Pumped that this hopeful trending device comes out this Thursday?

Wait no longer, the Apple company looked at their sales from the iPhoUntitledne 6s Plus phones that came out on the market last September and compared these sales to the sales of previous iPhones, they had felt pressured by the Samsung company to make bigger phones.

Soon, the release of the phablet sized, iPhone 6, 6s, and the Plus disappointed Apple’s high hopes of revenue. Along with Apple’s expensive cost of iPhones, more consumers are heading over to Android phones such as the Samsung company to find a more affordable deal.

Apple set out to come out with a new, smaller iPhone that is at a lower cost at $399 or $499. Apple’s new phone is called the iPhone SE, and it has a 4 inch display just like the iPhone 5s, and while both phones have different features, the iPhone SE and the iPhone 5s have very similar designs. 

The iPhone SE has the same processor as the state-of-the art iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, though it lacks 3D Touch. More lacking features of the iPhone SE are Reachability feature, where you gently tap the home button twice and the top of the screen shifts down to make the screen more accessible when you’re using the phone one-handed, and the Display Zoom, where a larger zoomed view is optional for consumers who like bigger images or text. These are the only features that the iPhone SE does not include in their package, that the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus do.

Did the Apple Co. set new standards in their company in order to meet the needs of what the people are asking for? Or is Apple falling short and and heading backwards with no soon new technological advances? The people will decide this Thursday…