The student news site of Portage Central High School

Water filling stations installed in three locations with two more to come

A new, clean and efficient way to refill water bottles have recently been installed in three locations of the school. Water filling stations above select water fountains have been placed as an alternative to buying plastic water bottles, near the first and second floor bathrooms and near the performing arts hallway.

The idea started in 2015 with alumnus Jack Levy who, during his senior year, started the conversation of installing water filling stations. Levy says the reason for initiating this idea was to promote the use of reusable water bottles.

“People are more willing to use a reusable water bottle if there is a quick and readily available fountain,” he said. “By providing the water fountain, we are able to reduce our footprint on the Earth.”

Levy started the conversation by speaking to former activities director Kent White and science teacher Chris Lane. These people aided Levy in pushing the school toward a more environmentally friendly approach, advocating for the placement of water filling stations.

The process of installing them took two years, mainly due to the funding required to place them in the school. Each water station costs $1,176, and they were funded voluntarily by many organizations, including the school’s band, choir, Student Council, orchestra and athletics departments.

The water filling stations have so far had a positive impact on the staff and students. Math teacher Beth Smith frequently uses these, and believes they are useful in refilling bottles.

“I love the new water bottle filling stations because I used to get soaked trying to fill my water bottle with the drinking fountain since it changes pressure as people flush toilets,” Smith said.

Additionally, Smith explains the use it provides to the Earth by reducing use of plastic and ultimately saving waste.

Principal Eric Alburtus hopes to add two more water bottle filling stations to the Stable due to the necessity of water fountains in the area.

“We are hoping to have two more water filling stations in the Stable,” Alburtus said. “During volleyball games, we’ll have up to 18 teams there, and two of our three water fountains don’t work, so we are planning on pulling those fountains and adding two stations.”