The student news site of Portage Central High School

A new beginning for Portage Central Watersports

Sam Scheffel, Staff Writer

The Board of Education recently approved bids for two new sports complexes as part of a voter-approved $144 million bond issue, ushering in a new era for Portage Central’s water sports.

Construction of the new $9 million pool construction at Portage Central will begin the week of March 13 with the placement of a construction trailer and fencing around the site of the future pool. The official groundbreaking is set for March 20; however, this could change depending on weather, said Ron Herron, assistant director of operations for Portage Public Schools.

Athletes and coaches alike are looking forward to the increased space for training and hosting events.

“The biggest advantages to the new pool are that the pool will be wider and have more lanes; the whole pool will be deep so there won’t be a shallow end, which helps for water polo especially,” senior water polo player Brian Seeyle said.

Junior swimmer Sophia Maddux said, “Being able to have more space will allow swimmers to have the area they need to do more quality swimming which result in faster times.”

The new pool will allow teams to get on the map and update a pool that limits their success due to small size and outdated facilities, athletes say.

“I think that when a team like Lakeview or Battle Creek Central comes in to a dual meet at our pool, it is a shock to them the conditions we train in,” Maddux said.

The new natatorium (a combination of stands, locker rooms and swimming and diving pools) will come along with a new football field and upgrades to the other sport complexes.