The student news site of Portage Central High School

Chromebook Roll-out Delayed to Start of 2017-2018 School Year

Drew Goretzka, Staff Writer

After nearly a one-year delay, the current freshmen are planned to receive their Chromebooks next September, at the start of the new school year.

Originally planned to be released within the second semester of this school year, the Chromebooks have had multiple delays due to technological difficulties. Problems with both filtering software and scheduling brought challenges to the original rollout date, resulting in the delay to next year.

In an email sent to PPS staff, technology director Dan Vomastek said that “logistical and technical” problems were the cause for the second delay in the Chromebook rollout.

“I don’t think it’s too big of deal,” freshman Lily Smith said. “We already have them in a bunch of our classes so it’s not too big of deal.”

While many freshmen are disappointed, many weren’t fazed by the announcement. Much like when the first delay was announced in September, many freshmen are not too concerned about receiving their Chromebooks and will continue to use personal laptops or the many desktop and laptop computers the school provides.

“I already have a personal laptop,” freshman Caleb Hawkins said. “So I don’t really think it will affect my school work too much.”

The class of 2020 isn’t the only group of students that will receive Chromebooks next year. Both the incoming freshmen and 6th graders will be given Chromebooks at the beginning of the school year as well, as long as there are no more delays.