The student news site of Portage Central High School

New state champion: ‘It still hasn’t really struck me yet’

Junior+Sydney+Floyd%2C+new+forensics+state+champion.+
Junior Sydney Floyd, new forensics state champion.

Steph Gonser

Steph Gonser

Ethan Campbell, Staff Writer

On Saturday, April 29, junior Sydney Floyd became Portage Central’s newest state champion, bringing home top honors in informative speaking.  

Floyd competed with the forensics team at Eastern Michigan University, earning the state championship title while the team as a whole achieved 5th place. The category that Floyd competed in was informative speaking, with the requirements being that the speaker has to write and present a speech which is informative and entertaining.

In Floyd’s presentation she informed the audience about the Comic Code Authority which was an organization that censored comics from 1954 to the early 21st century.    

“It still hasn’t really struck me yet,” Floyd said.  “I usually don’t win these kinds of things.” The category that Floyd won in, informative speaking, was a category she just started competing in half way through the year. “I thought I did well in informative speaking, but not well enough to win,” Floyd said. “When I found out it completely blew my mind”.

Floyd said she couldn’t have done it without help from some important people. “I would not be anywhere close to what I was able to achieve without my coaches or my friends” she said.

According to Coach Theresa Mills, it’s impressive to have someone who puts in a lot of time and effort become a state champ, especially when they switch their category halfway through the season.

“She came to me asking if she could do informative speech,” Coach Mills said, “She had a great idea and she worked with one of the coaches that had somewhat of an expertise in informative speaking and from there she teamed it with her teammate.”

As a team, out of the 23 entries the forensics team sent 18 entries went to semifinals and seven went to finals.