The student news site of Portage Central High School

New protocol emerges for students who order lunch from local establishments

Brianna Martinez, Student Life Editor

Ordering food from local restaurants has become a popular alternative during lunchtimes, with the most common being Jimmy John’s sandwiches.

Due to  recent issues with students not paying for their food ahead of time and causing delivery personnel to wait longer than necessary, students have been asked to use a debit or credit card to pay for their lunch instead. If that can’t be done, then Welcome Center attendant J.C. Boyd asks that the students wait to order until they can be present at the desk to pay for their meal in person.

“It doesn’t bother me, and it’s definitely not a problem,” Boyd said. “Once it gets into the students leaving money [at the desk] or having the person waiting for the money, it gets too ugly. It’s really unfair to the [delivery driver].”

Boyd has also been given clearance to place tips on orders if students aren’t able to do so over the phone, or aren’t present to write one on the receipt.

Freshman Mykeal Bolton orders Jimmy John’s for lunch on a regular basis and enjoys the freedom ordering in gives her. Bolton doesn’t particularly care for the school food, and is glad that she can choose something to eat that she knows she’ll like.

“[The process] is a little difficult because you have to be at the front desk, but [usually] if you say to be here at a certain time, they will,” Bolton said.

If students wish to order  lunch during the remainder of the school year, it’s important  they follow the appropriate procedures to make sure  the process is fair and enjoyable for all involved.