The student news site of Portage Central High School

Portage District Library offering summer volunteering opportunities

Ben Miller

Summer is a time to relax and de-stress from the hectic school year. Summer, however, is also an excellent time to volunteer and contribute to the Portage community. Many of us work at restaurants and local parks, but the Portage District Library isn’t usually one of the most frequent destinations for work-seeking teenagers. That could change this summer, though, as the library is actively recruiting high schoolers to help in the library facility.

The library is trying to attract teenagers, ages fourteen and older, to partake in this unique volunteering opportunity. Recruitment cards with information about the volunteering have been making there way around the school in recent weeks and many students have expressed interest in the position. Students who are interested in volunteering are required to attend one of two training seminars at the library over the next week. The first training seminar will be on Wednesday, May 31st from 7 pm to 8 pm. The other session will be help on Tuesday, June 6th from 7 pm to 8 pm. All of those who are interested should attend these meetings to understand what will be expected of them this summer if they choose to volunteer. If you cannot attend one of these meetings, you will not be able to be a volunteer this summer and should contact the library in the fall about volunteering at that time. The Portage District Library is an excellent place to start working if this is your first time working over the summer.

According to the library’s website, students will be able to do a myriad of tasks. “Summer volunteers help children, teens, and adults sign up and participate in our Summer Reading Program. This includes helping people with online forms, handing out prizes, and promoting our summer events. This opportunity is best for someone who is outgoing, comfortable talking to people of all ages, and able to work independently,” the website details. Junior Zoha Aqeel thinks volunteering at the library is a great opportunity, especially for those interested in English and literature.

“I think volunteering at the library is a great opportunity to allow growth on skills that can carry with me through the rest of my life. I thoroughly enjoy interacting with kids who have a passion for reading, and sharing my love for books with them,” said Aqeel.

Overall, the opportunity to volunteer at the library is one that should be considered by every student, especially if your summer isn’t very busy. If you have any additional questions, the library would be happy to answer them if you call.