The student news site of Portage Central High School

PC students to run marathon while raising money for charity

Zach Bumgarner, Student Life Editor

Everyone can agree that going out of your way for a helpful cause is a good thing. Juniors Derek Steffic and Garrett Stace are taking this idea to the next level as they prepare to run a marathon in the Upper Peninsula and are raising money for St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital.

The marathon takes place on Saturday in Paradise, Mich. Stace and Steffic have tried preparing for it by running 11 miles once a week, but they both know that might not be efficient enough.

“Honestly, we haven’t prepared at all,” both Stace and Steffic said.

This opportunity presented itself to them while searching for marathons in Michigan.

“Derek and I have a list of fun things that we plan on doing this summer and running a marathon was one of them,” Stace said. “I’ve been wanting to go to the U.P. for the past year, and when we saw there was a marathon there we jumped on the opportunity.”

They are both excited about the trip and marathon. Being able to knock off two things from their bucket list makes it even better.

“What appeals to me is that I can say I finished a marathon and we get medals and shirts,” Steffic said.

The marathon is only one extraordinary thing these students are doing. Throughout the past week they have started a fund for St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital.

“We were already doing something so extreme [with the marathon], I brought it up to Garrett that we should raise money and add a good cause for this marathon,” Steffic said. “He agreed and we went straight to Student Council for some help and advice, and they were behind us 100 percent.”

The fund ended today on Thursday, and they take on the 26.2 miles Saturday. These two prove to never be afraid to do something that might seem too hard or not realistic.