The student news site of Portage Central High School

Successful soccer season comes to a close

Carter Colosky, Staff Writer

After an unfortunate 3-1 loss to Brighton High School on Wednesday, June 7th, the girls soccer season has been forced to come to a close.

It was a hardfought match throughout for both teams. Junior Macie DeWyse made 12 saves and Freshman Jenna Little put Portage Central on the board in the last 10 minutes of the first half with an assist from Jaquelyn Sibley. Unfortunately, the Mustangs were unable to come out on top.

Although the loss on Wednesday was certainly disappointing, the Mustangs have nothing to be ashamed of. After competing well all year with a record of 17-4-2, all their hard work certainly paid off and they ended up as one of the top teams in the area. Throughout the year they were able to compete with all of the best teams including the 1st and 3rd teams in the state. The Mustangs ended the year ranked as the 17th team in the state.

“Getting as far as we did this season was a really great reward for all our hard work.” Junior Kayla Mathieu said. “Although it was disappointing that we couldn’t go farther, we have nothing to be ashamed of.”

The future looks bright for the upcoming season, and the Mustangs have a young team that is brimming with talent. Although they will be losing eight seniors, they will be back next year ready to compete and be one of the best in the area once again.

“The returning players are going to come back thirsty and ready to win.” Senior Audrey Haines said. “With the amount of talent that we have in the program I don’t doubt the girls will have another successful season next year.”