Soccer District tournament on the horizon

Jack Juday, Staff Writer

img_3484

As the soccer season comes to a close, the need to win begins to intensify. The Southwest Michigan Athletic Conference (SMAC) tournament starts this week. With the first game on Thursday at Mattawan High School, the players are really starting to feel the pressure.

The Mustangs currently have a 7-2-4 record, with two less wins than the Mattawan Wildcats. They hope to get a win over them and gain some momentum going into next week. They want to repeat the last face-off between the two, where they won 2-0 at home.

Sophomore Elliot Greathouse talks about the upcoming rivalry, “I think we have a good chance of winning, because we always seem to step up in big games. I have a lot of confidence, but that doesn’t exclude the fact that Mattawan will be hungry after the loss they suffered against us before”, Greathouse said. Greathouse said.

If the team does succeed in defeating the Mattawan, they will move on to face Battle Creek Lakeview or Portage Northern in the conference finals.

After their next two conference tournament games is when the fight for the district title begins The district tournament seems to be a challenge that the team hopes to tackle together with hard work and perseverance.

Freshman Ben Sosville said, “We really want to win. We hope to make a good run in districts but don’t want to get too far ahead of ourselves.”

The team has hope that they will make a run into the district tournament and beyond, but also wouldn’t mind a shot at the cross-town rivals Portage Northern. The game was played on September 20th, and ended in a tie.