The truth behind the “After School” app, revealed

The long awaited answer to the mysterious texts that have spread throughout the school.

Kaoru Murai, Staff Writer

An alarming majority of students throughout the school have been receiving a series of text messages from an unknown number of area code 415, starting last week.

The texts are spreading like a pandemic, regardless of grade level or gender. Some examples of the texts include, “Some boy tagged *insert your name here* on afterschoolapp.com/PortageCentralHighSchool” or “An anonymous boy picked *insert your name here* on afterschoolapp.com/PortageCentralHighSchool.”

%e3%83%95%e3%82%a1%e3%82%a4%e3%83%ab_000-1

Shown above is a screenshot of the texts many students have been receiving.

The website linked in the text, After School, refers to an anonymous chat board app, which allows students who attend a certain school to post anonymously about anyone or anything in that school. The fundamental idea of this app strongly resembles that of the popular social networking app, Yik Yak. However, there are a few significant differences that sets After School apart from any other anonymous chat board.

When users first download the app, they are required to verify their age through Facebook. This can be done by linking a Facebook account to the After School app. Unlike the majority of its peers in the social media industry, the age requirement has not been set to protect underaged children from looking at its contents.

Rather, the age requirement is set to lock out adults over high school age from snooping around. Anyone considered an adult by the app can still download the app and open it: they just cannot read any of the posts.

The app also has a series of safety filters to prevent explicit content from reaching the eyes of students under the age of 17. The only way to unlock these filters is by scanning the barcode located on the backside of a state issued driver’s license card. In reality, numbers of explicit content show up even when the filters are on. Unlocking the filters only intensifies the dirty posts, which include highly sexual and criminal topics.

According to Business Insider magazine, a majority of the posts made within the chat community are fake. They are auto generated by the app itself. Only a few posts and some comments made on the posts are legitimately created by humans who go to that school.

Above is an example of a post that may be made within the app.

Numerous students have reported that the app had somehow obtained their names and personal phone numbers, even when they had not downloaded it.

“When I was in eighth grade, I was supposed to go to [Portage] Northern, but I transferred to PC when I was still at [Portage] West,” freshman Saad Qureshi accounts. “Now I go here, but the text I got from the app said that I went to Northern.”

According to Qureshi, the app had somehow known that he was originally scheduled to go to Portage Northern.

In other reports, students have suddenly begun receiving spam texts from various name brand companies, such as Michael Kors, ever since they first received the After School text.

The Washington Post reports that the app has a dark history of being banned from the Apple App Store a number of times due to privacy breaches. It had allegedly been accessing users’ personal information from their phone, Facebook and Instagram accounts without their permission. That fact may provide an explanation as to why the texts have spread like a disease throughout the school in a matter of days, and how they have mysteriously obtained phone numbers and names of its owners.

According to numerous outside sources, the epidemic is reported to be currently spreading  extensively to our peers at Portage Northern High School and has come and gone last school year at Plainwell High School.

Due to the fraudulent nature of this app, it is strongly advised that students not download it in order to keep any personal information including phone numbers, names or addresses from leaking out to the world.