“America’s Got Talent” winner Grace Vanderwaal releases first EP

Samhita Sunkara, News Editor

A 12 year old girl from Suffern, New York graced the country earlier this year when she stepped on a stage and shared her phenomenal talent. Grace Vanderwaal competed in the past season of “America’s Got Talent” and was Howie Mandel’s golden buzzer. From her first audition in June until she won the competition in September, she had riled up an enormous amount of public support. The video posted on YouTube of her original audition song “I Don’t Know My Name” has over 46 million views to date.

Hot off the “America’s Got Talent” stage, on Sep. 20th the tween singer signed a record deal with Columbia Records. Last week, Vanderwaal released her first Extended Play (EP) titled “Perfectly Imperfect”.

The EP mainly consists of the songs she created herself and sang on the competition, but includes one brand new song titled “Gossip Girl”. Her songs are based off of her life and experiences, as well as not fitting in and being unique. The album as a whole has a mellow yet positive vibe to it. Her songs about being herself are inspiring, especially coming from a young girl. Vanderwaal accompanies her songs with the ukulele, which she plays in
the songs. The ukulele gives it a raw and natural feel to her music, which is different to the over-produced sound of most songs on the charts now.

Vanderwaal’s natural and pure talent is undeniably splendid, however, the EP has a more pop, auto-tuned feel to it when compared to her live shows. While I do understand that no song goes without editing these days, the extent to which it is done on Vanderwaal’s EP felt both unnecessary and degrading, since her raw voice and style is what gained her the popularity.

Overall, Vanderwaal’s EP “Perfectly Imperfect” is a pristine, yet soothing album. Although Vanderwaal’s talent in singing is one to keep an eye on, the way her EP was produced takes away from her raw talent.