Signing day brings bright futures to athletes

Drew Goretzka, Staff Writer

From left, Andrew Gast, Jacob Mastenbrook, Austin McCullough, Austin Duff, Raine Potts, Elijah Davis, Tyler Vliek, Jacob Vermeulen, Nick Krietz, Zach Karbowski, and Jon Kennedy.

From left, Raine Potts, Taylor Maystead, Devin Jaqua, Audrey Haines, Elijah Davis, and Sam Allan.

National signing day is one of the biggest days of the year for high school recruits, who write their signature and commit the next four years of their lives to a sport that they love. For many, the weeks leading up to national signing day are filled with stress and joy.

Seven Portage Central athletes will pursue their goals on the field at the collegiate level in either football or women’s soccer. Every athlete that signed on Wednesday, Feb. 1,  has worked nearly his or her entire life in preparation for this moment, and for all athletes, it’s a very important day in their careers.

“It’s a big milestone for my career,” Kent State commit Sam Allan said, “and as a future athlete I’m very excited.”

For others, signing day is a stressful event, as they have to make a decision on where to attend college for the next four years of their life. Elijah Davis waited until the signing event itself to commit to either Saginaw Valley State University or Davenport University. When the moment arrived, Davis selected SVSU to continue his football as well as academic career.

Davis wasn’t the only SVSU commit to sign Monday. Raine Potts had committed to a few weeks prior and will be attending along with Davis this fall.

The four women’s soccer commits include Devin Jaqua (Michigan State University), Audrey Haines (Siena Heights University), Jennifer Warnicke (Johnson & Wales), and Taylor Maystead (Adrian University). Every athlete who signed had dedicated her life to play at the collegiate level, and many are thankful for the people around them for getting them there.

“I’m just so happy to be able to represent all of the people who got me here by committing to the collegiate level,” Maystead said. “Without them, I wouldn’t be here today.”

There are still more athletes who are looking to commit, with sports like baseball, basketball, and wrestling still yet to officially sign recruits. The next signing day will be Wednesday, April 12.