Chromebooks for freshman class will be delayed

Olivia Oles, Editor-in-Chief

Freshman David Smith uses a classroom Chromebook

The Chromebooks promised to the freshman class at the beginning of the second semester have been delayed due to technical and schedule issues.

The school district had to first issue Chromebooks to the higher elementary grades before they could issue the computers to freshmen, according to Daniel Vomastek, PPS director of information and technology. The rollout to the elementary grades concluded on Feb. 2. There were also problems found within the filtering software, and the devices will not be handed out to freshmen until the software issue is resolved, he said.

If we can’t get to resolution by spring break, we’ll likely not deploy this year given the competing burdens for graduation and year-end closeout,” Vomastek said.

There is a wide variety of reactions from the freshman class. Some, like David Smith, are indifferent about the delay.

“I think a lot of people would use them if we got [the Chromebooks], but now that we aren’t getting them it doesn’t really change anything,” Smith said.  

Other freshmen, including Alyson Miller, are disappointed by the delay.

“I was disappointed because everything that we do is online nowadays,” Miller said. “If I had a Chromebook, I would do my work on Google Docs or on [Google] Classroom rather than writing my assignments using pencil and paper. Allowing everyone to have a Chromebook is also much easier and organized.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Chromebooks for freshman class will be delayed”

1. Claire Lightfoot on February 6th, 2017 3:07 pm

I agree with Alyson Miller 100%. I was looking forward to the Chromebook because my computer doesn’t work very well and i can’t do everything ok my phone.

[Reply]