New coaching staff leads to wrestling team success

Hayden Bernardine, Staff Writer

Going into this year’s season, the wrestling team started off with a new coaching staff. Ken Haughn, former head coach, retired prior to this year’s season, with coach James Carrow stepping up and taking control of the program.

With help from assistant coaches Adam Fahs, Dustin Schultz, Ray VanDeWalker, Tony Brown, Adam Fahs, Marci Nunez and Liam Noble, the team has had a major change in dynamics. All of the coaches either have previously wrestled or are fathers of wrestlers, so there is plenty of experience to pass around.

With the new abundance of assistant coaches, there has been a big change in the way the team is run. With more help than has ever been at the team’s disposal, there is much more hands on teaching.

“Having an increase in the number of people has helped,” Carrow said, “There’s about one coach to every two or three wrestlers. There’s a lot more direct instruction for each wrestler.”

The team has a 3-3 record in dual meets this year with wins against Portage Northern, Mattawan and St. Joseph High Schools.

“It’s because the new coaches are driving us to be more successful,” according to junior Garrett Stace.

New practice schedules have been put into place by Carrow, including shorter practice times and mandatory lifting in the morning before school.

“We go in and get stuff done quicker,” said Stace.

On Wednesday the team lost in the first round of team districts 37-34 to Portage Northern. However, individual wrestlers are looking to advance to regionals as districts get under way Saturday morning at Jackson High School.