Wilson makes a push for the podium

Ethan Campbell, Staff Writer

Junior Dom Wilson capitalized on a long year of hard work and will be the only Portage Central wrestler competing in the state tournament this week.

Coach James Carrow believes that Wilson has truly earned his spot in the state tournament because of his skill and his excellent work ethic, Wilson earned the opportunity by placing 4th at regionals on February 18, leading the regular season with a 22-4 record.   

“Dom has one of the best work ethics, not just this year, but consistently,” Carrow said, “Even as a freshman, he was out-working most of the upperclassmen.”

Carrow thinks it is somewhat bittersweet to only be taking Wilson to the Palace of Auburn Hills on thursday.

“Dom has definitely earned his spot at states, but there were a couple people who also worked really hard this year but for whatever reason, whether that be their bracket was too hard or something else happened, we were unable to take them,” he said.

According to Carrow, Wilson has been working hard with a few different coaches. A lot of the coaches he works with have been to states or have wrestled in college and are helping him to improve his skills.

As for Wilson, he is somewhat nervous to be competing against the state’s best. But he is also happy and excited that he made it.

“It’s been a lot of work to get to where I am now,” he said, “I’ve had to beat kids that are older then me and that have had more experience.”

According to Wilson, his team still tries to support him the best they can. Sometimes they come in and help him practice, and some of them will be going to states to support him.

Wilson hopes to achieve top ten in the statewide competition and is looking forward to the challenge. His first opponent will be Jackson Ross of Novi Detroit Catholic Central.  

Dom Wilson in wrestling uniform.