March Madness takes over PC

Jack Juday, Staff Writer

As March Madness gets under way, anxious fans around the country have created brackets and gotten involved in the competition by joining online servers to see who can win the big bucks. Portage Central has joined in on the fun as well.

Student Council sent out an email to every student, which provided the opportunity to make their own bracket and compete against other students and teachers. This idea was brought to the plate by senior Student Council member Austin McCullough, an avid basketball fan.

“I thought it would be a cool way to get the school in a friendly competition that revolves around a popular event,” McCullough said.

The library has also got involved with the madness of March, by creating a book bracket. Cast your vote for your favorite book, and the books with the most votes move on to the Elite 8. Then, there will be a single ballot drawn from the votes, and the winner gets a prize. To take part in the festivities, simply vote online or in the library.

”Our goal is to make reading fun and connect people through a mutual love of reading,” Media Specialist Sara Brown said. “March Madness is a ton of fun, so we feel like this is a natural way to tap into that in another way. We love to give out prizes and talk books with the students and staff and we hope that this is a fun activity for all.”

The current leaders of the tournament include “Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children” by Ransom Riggs and “ The Scorpio Races” by Maddie Stiefvater, an author who will visit the school next year.

For some people, March is the most exciting part of the year. This has shined through with the students and staff here at PC in their attempts to bring the madness to the school, making the school day just a little more exciting.