Baseball team looks to advance to state tournament

Jack Juday, Sports Editor

The baseball team had a few exciting victories last weekend, which advances them to the regional tournament. Their first regional game is on Saturday, June 10,at Grand Ledge High School, where they will face off against the Comets to see who will move even deeper into the postseason.

The team started the season with a slow start, losing more games than anyone had previously expected. In the end, the team has turned it around to string together some wins and claim a district title. They defeated Kalamazoo Loy Norrix and Kalamazoo Central on Saturday, which allowed them to bring home the district trophy.

The team now looks to continue their recent success, and hopes to win the regional tournament and make a run for the state title.

“I expect us to keep on playing hard and doing whatever needs to be done to win, just like we did in districts,” sophomore Michael Verduzco said, “I also expect McIntyre to hit one, or a few [balls] over the fence.”

Senior shortstop and Western Michigan Baseball commit Justin McIntyre has played a major role in leading the team alongside University Of Michigan commit Jeff Criswell.

“We’ve had our ups and downs but we are a good team that can make a run in the playoffs. We have faced a lot of adversity due to injuries and suspensions but we overcame it and won a district championship,” McIntyre said, “ I expect us to continue the run throughout regionals and onto states.”

As the season winds down, intensity has slowly began to build and the players are starting to feel the pressure, but are confident that they can make a solid effort at a state title.

While the students are studying for finals and preparing for the last week of school, the varsity baseball team will be doing their best to bring a state title home to PC.