2017-18 3rd Annual CommuniTEEN read announced

Kaoru Murai, Social Media Editor & Website Manager

Starting with the “The Harlem Hellfighters” by Max Brooks in the 2015-16 school year, the city of Portage has annually engaged in promoting students in the community to read through the CommuniTEEN Read program.

This program collaborates with various prize-winning authors by encouraging students and people throughout the community to read a selected novel by that author over the school year. To conclude this event, the author comes to Portage as a guest speaker.

During their presentations, visitors can ask further question about the background of the book, as well as insightful advice on how to succeed as a writer.

This school year, all freshmen read “The Scorpio Races” by Maggie Stiefvater and were treated to an engaging visit by the author herself.

School librarian Sara Brown said, “We wanted people to get a chance to meet the person behind the book. [It will be an] opportunity to ask questions, and listen to them speak about their book and careers.”

This year’s selection is “Code Name Verity” written by Scottish author Elizabeth Wein. The story is a historical novel, highlighting the friendship between two young British women who were spies during World War II. The plot follows the events after their spy plane crashes in a fictional village in Nazi-occupied France.

This is Elizabeth Wein, author of “Code Name Verity.” She will be coming in town in March to speak about her novel.

Wein will be flying into Portage during the month of March to hold three presentations. Two of the presentations will be held for students at each of the two Portage high schools, and the other will be held for general community members who wish to learn more about the background of the book. Details about the public event will be announced at a later date.

This novel was selected due to the connection it had with our school curriculum, particularly the Modern American History classes and the English 11 classes. It is hoped that this book will serve both as a connection between students and the things taught in class, as well as a way for community members to interact.

“We want to make it a way for students to connect with the community, like their family and other people through reading,” Brown says. “A common book is a powerful way for two people to connect.”

Regardless of which class you may be in, Code Name Verity is a heavily recommended read, with a deep historical background and a rich text full of engaging plot.