New passwords anger students

Trammell+Lindstrom+rubs+temples+with+anger+as+he+is+locked+out+of+his+account.+
Trammell Lindstrom rubs temples with anger as he is locked out of his account.

Jack Juday, Sports Editor

On September 4th, it seemed as though the world stopped turning. Students were locked out of their accounts, unable to finish summer work and get ready for the school year.

The Portage school district decided to change the passwords of every student account. The passwords have been the same for the past four years. They must be changed every four years in order to keep student and staff profiles secure.

“I understand why we changed passwords, but it sucks being a senior,” Alaina Kirschman said, “I just memorized my last one and now I have to figure my new one out to only use it for eight months.”

The passwords are now eight characters long and case sensitive, including lowercase and capital letters and numbers. The worst part is, the students don’t have the power to change them like they did in the past.

This change added another layer of stress to the beginning of the year, because the passwords aren’t very easy to remember. If a student left their password in their locker, they had no way of logging onto computers.

Sophomore Trammel Lindstrom said, “I feel like the password change had pros and cons. I think we should have kept the same passwords because my password never could have been guessed. I could recite it forwards and backwards with no problem.”

It is obvious that the students feel strongly about this, and they are hoping for a change soon.