The theatre department will be kicking off their fall musical “The 25th Annual Putnam Spelling Bee” next Friday

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior John Hart rehearses for his role as William Barfee in the theatre department's fall producton,

Senior John Hart rehearses for his role as William Barfee in the theatre department's fall producton, "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee."

Ashna Mehra, Opinion Editor

PC’s theatre department is coming in strong with two musicals this year – the fall play being “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” and the winter play being “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.”

According to performer Jada Thrash, having two musicals in one year adds a level of craziness, stress and hard work to the production.

“For the fall musical, we only had a month-and-a-half total to put together a quite difficult musical,” Thrash said. “Whereas for the winter musical it would take us almost 3 months to create the magic.”

To add on to the stress, this year’s cast is unusually small. While musicals normally have a cast of about 30, this year’s fall musical has a mere cast of nine. According to Madi Loso, the student director of the play, having a small cast is easier to manage and quicker on their feet, but with less people also comes less strength in numbers.

“As a reward of a small cast, the actors have the opportunity to build better, stronger relationships with others,” Thrash said. “Knowing your castmates, crewmates, and schoolmates better certainly makes for a stronger production for the performers, the crew and the audience.

Senior Kate Morrissey channels her emotion as her character, Olive Ostrovsky.

With this chaos also comes an element of joy and passion. Loso believes that the more effort that is put in, the more enjoyable the show turns out to be.

“With a full musical, the department still has as much fun,” Loso said. “Plus, we have even more crazy singing memories!”

The fall musical will take place starting the week of Oct. 27. Tickets will be available for sale at pchsperformingarts.org and will sell for $12 each.

The cast of the fall show is the following:

1. Kate Morrissey — Olive Ostrovsky
    2. John Hart — William Barfee
    3. Jada Thrash — Logainne SchwartzandGrubenierre
    4. Mitchell Northcutt — Leaf Coneybear
    5. Mia Collins — Marcy Park
    6. Mitchell Harpenau — Chip Tolentino
    7. Kathryn Fulton — Rona Lisa Peretti
    8. Brady Mills — Vice Principal Panch
    9. Nick Wheeler — The Comfort Counselor
    10. Madeline Loso — Student Director
    11. Katie Franz and Megan Lawrence — Student Stage Managers