Introducing our new 2017 school year transfer students from Portage Northern High School

Junior Jason Earhardt, a transfer student from Portage Northern High School contemplates his decision to ditch being a husky and become a mustang.

Paige Berry, Staff Writer

Seven former Northern students became apart of the mustang community at the start of the 2017 school year, whether it was for personal reasons or for a larger opportunity to succeed in any area. Compared to the average of two students from past years, seven is an extremely high number for transfer students according to Portage Central’s Register Trish King.

Among the seven transfer students, senior Danielle Ellis feels that becoming a mustang was a great choice and she feels extremely welcomed by everyone.

“I feel a lot better being able to represent a school I feel comfortable at” said Ellis “It’s a great feeling.”

To the new students, Portage Central is a different environment compared to the one that they were accustomed to. Junior Jeremy Hook believes that as a school, mustangs act as a strong family and that everyone is welcoming.

“I feel like the teachers are much more accepting and the kids are much more inclusive,” said Hook. “There is a lot more school pride and spirit here.”

For junior Jason Erhardt, his family was very accepting of the move of school, yet some of his friends at Northern felt as if he was betraying them while friends at Central were very supportive of the move.

Unfortunately this was not the case for all students who decided to make the move. For Ellis as well, her family was very supportive of her decision, yet her friends felt differently.

“I didn’t have many friends at Northern, but I do have a couple of friends at Vicksburg from soccer or arts programs” said Ellis “They’re happy that I’m happy, but they still struggle to see why I couldn’t suffer one more year at Northern.”

According to Erhardt and Ellis, the only bad thing about transferring is the fact that we are not allowed to carry backpacks, while Hook thinks that not owning any Portage Central merchandise is the only downfall about being a mustang now.  

“My favorite thing about being a mustang is being more connected and feeling less isolated,” said Ellis. “The environment here is a lot more welcoming and it’s nice to be apart of it.”