The Portage Central Marching Band concludes their second undefeated season in a row

The Portage Central Marching Band concluded their 2017 season on a very high note, achieving an undefeated season for the second year in a row.

Bella Pedraza, Editor-In-Chief

Dreams came true on Saturday with the second PCMB undefeated season showcasing “City of Dreams”. After the success of “Concrete Jungle”, this second consecutive win established the band as the champions at each of the Michigan Scholastic Marching Band competitions. At the last competition, the marching band’s hard work and talent also earned them the highest score the band has received this season: 96.2.

The marching band makes their exit, after their final half time show of the season at Portage Central's event, Last Night Under the Lights.

“I’d say that all of us, especially all of the seniors, wanted to put all that we had onto the field to really wrap up our senior year,” senior Allen Vandenbrink said.

An incredible amount of work goes into creating the marching band performances and according to band director Patrick Flynn, “the process never really stops”. This year the performance theme was “City of Dreams” and like “Concrete Jungle”, it was based off of a city setting, more specifically New York.

“We really focus on modernization and incorporating a sort of city vibe to the show,” junior Elise Wolfe said.

The show featured the songs “Empire State of Mind”, “Sound of Silence”, “Boulevard of Broken Dreams”, and “Bright Lights Bigger City”. It was also accompanied by an original percussion piece played by the drumline that replicated street drumming,. Not only that, the band even spelled NY with their marching formation and LED background lights lit up the show with an Empire State building and the message, “I heart NY”. One of the best light shows was produced by the color guard who showcased their 36 flagpoles all equipped with LED lights.

“We “lit up” last year with the shako hats and the front ensemble and we wanted to continue that effect but in a different way,” Flynn said. “people expected us to light up again, but the way we lit up was the big mystery and surprise.”

Although the flashing lights and city songs contributed to a stellar performance, the true magic of the show comes from the hardworking and talented students. Starting all the way from band camp in the summer, to three hour band rehearsals throughout the fall, the dedication of the marching band shines through in their cohesive performances.

“ The success of the band can be attributed to the smart and talented students [who have] a work ethic that rivals anything else you have seen,” Flynn said.