The men’s tennis team brings a conclusion to the successful 2017 season

Senior Vishnu Ghantasala is caught in a fierce embrace with his team mates, after the conclusion of their final tennis match.

Courtesy of mLive

Samhita Sunkara, News Editor

This past weekend, the varsity boys tennis team competed at the state tournament and came in 6th place. The tournament was held locally at Kalamazoo College. Junior Lucas Guy and senior Camilo Bautista finished in the semifinal round and senior Vishnu Ghantasala placed 2nd in the state for the four singles flight.

Varsity Coach Melanie Pepper is pleased with the result of the competition because of the team’s motivation.

“I am most proud of their growth and their work ethic,” Pepper. “We lost several key players last year, but that didn’t deter them at all. They showed up every day and pushed each other to give more, and to be better.”

Guy explains that his favorite moment of the state tournament was a save by Bautista in his quarterfinal round match, which ultimately gave him the win and allowed him to compete in the semifinal match.

“He put has put in so much time to achieve his goal of making it to Saturday at a high position,” Guy said. “All of the team came together and supported him, and it was just a very good time.”

Last year, Ghantasala came close in making it to the final round, so this year, the accomplishment of his goal was rewarding.

“It felt amazing to win the semifinals, especially since I put in so much work in the offseason,” Ghantasala said.

He describes that his team played a major factor in his performance at the state competition, and that the team aided in his growth as a tennis player.

“I think getting getting deep in the state tournament was like all the hard work they had put into me coming to fruition,” Ghantasala said.

Looking ahead to the future of the boys tennis team, Guy describes the relationships made with all of the seniors on the team. He explains that he is thankful for their help throughout the years.

“[I] am glad that I was able to get to know all of them in the way that I have,” Guy said.