PCHS men’s soccer team brings a close to a very successful season

Though the team did not win the regional finals game, a bright future awaits them.

Senior Minh Le exhibits excellent skill during the men's soccer team's final game of the season.

Paige Berry, Staff Writer

The men’s soccer team led by coach Andrew Rice experienced a successful season leading up to the unfortunate defeat to reigning state champions East Kentwood.

According to sophomore Ben Sosville, Coach Rice did many things to prepare the team for their regional final game.

“For the East Kentwood game we had multiple trainings at Vicksburg to prepare for playing on turf at Portage Northern,” Sosville said, “We also had many speakers come in to talk to the team. Including PCHS Football coach Bob Knight, a video from Eric Alexander, and many players from past PCHS soccer teams.”

Senior Nick Kuppler believes that if the Mustangs played East Kentwood again, that no changes would be made to the starting 11 or formation, but that the mustangs would have to improve their execution to win that game.

Even though the team lost in the regional final, many people on the squad were happy about the team’s performance over the season.

“We definitely had some ups and downs throughout the season,” said junior Jack Ciccantell “but the team came together at the right time, and because of that we were able to make it to the regional finals.”

According to Sosville, the team performed well throughout the season and they all came to work together to give the results the coaches expected.

The 2017 season men’s varsity soccer team.

“I believe we performed very well. Not only did we come together on the field,” said Kuppler “but off the field we were one of the most tight knit teams I’ve ever been a part of. We all had each other’s backs.”

With the team losing five seniors after this season, the team also believes that they can continue to be strong with the large junior and sophomore classes even with the loss of strong leaders: Kuppler agrees with what Sosville believes as well.

“I believe the sky’s the limit for this team next year” said Kuppler “They have a ton of talent coming back and they have what it takes to be a great team. They just need to stay humble and not let anyone get too good for the team.”