Senior Camilo Bautista draws the curtains to an outstanding career of mustang tennis

Senior Camilo Bautista steps off the court for the last time during his high school tennis career.

Rowan Thawley, Staff Writer

Camilo Bautista, a senior, is not only a great student but has also made many accomplishments throughout his career on the Portage Central tennis team.

He has been captain of the team his junior and senior year, and has reached three semi finals with four, three, and two singles this season.

Bautista started playing tennis in 2010, which marks this year as his seventh year playing. He first got into the sport through his father, who played tennis as well.

Tennis is a time consuming sport, and Bautista can usually be found practicing 3-4 days per week.

Although he does not intend on pursuing the sport into college, he still plans on playing extracurricularly once he graduates, possibly at the YMCA with his friends.

“Playing for the highschool team is the most fun way I’ve played tennis,” Bautista explains. “I’ve made a lot of memories being on the team.”

Being a senior, there are many emotional ties and memories Bautista has with his sport. Having this be his last year on the high school team, he explains many instances that made him emotional.

“I cried after states [tournament]. I also cried after my last win. I have cried a lot this year because of the times I’ve had playing for the team and thinking about how much I’m going to miss it when I graduate,” said Bautista, looking back on his final days with the mustang team.