Senior Ella Foley chosen to represent PCHS for the 2017 DAR Good Citizen Scholarship

PC staff members voted to have senior Ella Foley represent the school to apply for this year's DAR Good Citizen Scholarship.

Jack Juday, Kaoru Murai

Jack Juday, Kaoru Murai

Samhita Sunkara, News Editor

Senior Ella Foley was nominated by faculty members at the school for the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Good Citizen scholarship. Foley was nominated and voted on by the staff as the school’s representative and now has the chance to apply for a chance to win the scholarship.

The students nominated for the DAR Good Citizen scholarship must embody characteristics regarding leadership, service, patriotism and dependability. Because of Foley’s thorough exemplification of these characteristics, she was voted as the nominee.

The scholarship contest was created in the year 1934 in order to motivate students to exude the characteristic of good citizenship.

Foley must now hand-write an essay, a summary of her achievements and submit teacher recommendations in order to compete to be the winner of the DAR scholarship.

Foley appreciates the nomination by her teachers, and understands what it means to represent her school.

“Receiving the nomination is an incredible honor,” Foley said. “It makes me love and appreciate the staff at this school even more.”

Counselor Todd Tarnutzer expresses that Foley’s work has definitely paid off through her nomination for the scholarship.

“She is well deserving and has exhibited excellent character throughout high school,” Tarnutzer said.

The nomination is open to all seniors in high school, and a school can only nominate a student once every year. The application deadline for this year is Feb. 15.

1 Comment

One Response to “Senior Ella Foley chosen to represent PCHS for the 2017 DAR Good Citizen Scholarship”

1. Turner on November 27th, 2017 1:30 am

Hello Samhita Sunkara,

It is very nice that your blog is providing information regarding the program. I want to aware you towards the “American Psychological Association Graduate Student Scholarships”. The scholarship is available for graduate students who are currently enrolled in an interim master’s program or doctoral program.

Application Deadline is June 30, 2018

For more information you can go through –
    https://www.developingcareer.com/american-psychological-association-graduate-student-scholarships/

You can also join our Facebook page for the updates. The link
    https://www.facebook.com/DevelopingCareer/

[Reply]

• Senior Ella Foley chosen to represent PCHS for the 2017 DAR Good Citizen Scholarship

Student Life

Portage Central students partake in a special performance of “the Nutcracker” ballet this weekend

Student Life

Senior Camilo Bautista draws the curtains to an outstanding career of mustang tennis

Student Life

Freshman Andrew Burhans exhibits extraordinary musical talent

Student Life

Introducing our new 2017 school year transfer students from Portage Northern High School

Entertainment

Apple prepares for release of the new iPhone X

News

Meet our new learning center supervisor

Student Life

New passwords anger students

News

The reason homecoming is so early this year

Student Life

2017-18 3rd Annual CommuniTEEN read announced

Student Life

PC students to run marathon while raising money for charity