Violent vigilante justice captivates audience in Marvel’s series ‘The Punisher’

Courtesy of Netflix

Courtesy of Netflix

Courtesy of Netflix

Paige Berry, Staff Writer

On Friday Nov. 17 Netflix released their highly anticipated exclusive series, Marvel’s “The Punisher.” The new Netflix release followed in the footsteps of another successful Marvel series that was originally released in April 2015, “Daredevil.”

This bloody series takes place after the events of Marvel’s “Daredevil”second season. Frank Castle (Jon Bernthal) is presumed dead, and takes on a new persona, Pete Castiglione, to live in a normalcy. While working at a construction company, he is sucked back into the criminal underworld within New York City.

Throughout the 13 episode season, the story follows Castle and new partner David Lieberman (Ebon Moss-Bachrach) uncovering the truth from the murder of Castle’s family and an under-cover, off the books operation overseas.

As each episode continues, new evidence against “Agent Orange” is uncovered and more pieces of the puzzle are put into place. With the progression of Castle and Lieberman’s revenge, a few wrenches are thrown into their plans. A recurring character and a vital person within Castle’s vigilante lifestyle reemerges. Dinah Madani (Amber Rose Revah), a nosy Homeland Security officer, follows Castle’s trail closely, plagued by her own demons and ideas of revenge. Terrorist attacks pop up all over New York City and the betrayal of the century is introduced within later episodes.

Courtesy of Netflix

This television rated MA series is not for the faint of heart, while it includes multiple scenes of murder, torture and sexual encounters throughout. Due to the MA rating, whenever Castle is around, nothing happens without a little bloodshed. Throughout this entire season, Castle and crew face multiple obstacles of violent nature. In episode six, titled “The Judas Goat,” Castle returns to his and Lieberman’s underground base in rough condition. He suffers from extreme trauma to the body following a firefight with Billy Russo’s (Ben Barnes) men and Lieberman contacts Castle’s friend who served with him in Afghanistan, Curtis Hoyle (Jason R. Moore), to bring Castle back from the brink of death. While Castle is recuperating, Lewis Walcott (Daniel Webber), a former United States Army troop, decides to follow in the footsteps of The Punisher and take justice into his own hands.

This series led me through an emotional rollercoaster filled with empathy, hatred and left me hungry for more brutal scenes involving the infamous Punisher as each hour long episode rolled to the credits. Netflix has not announced if they will continue with a season two of “The Punisher.” Rumors speculate that Matt Murdock also known Daredevil (Charlie Cox) will make an appearance within season two or Castle will make another appearance in “Daredevil” season three.

Courtesy of Netflix

Marvel’s “The Punisher” has been one of the highlights of 2017 for me due to the directive genius of Stephen Surjik and the musical genius of composer Tyler Bates, who decided to include artists like Marilyn Manson in the show. Being a fan of Marvel’s comic book and graphic novel universe, Netflix’s adaptation has done Castle justice and is one of the best television shows I have ever seen.