Student training for ALICE safety procedure will begin on Tuesday

Courtesy of AliceTraining.com

ALICE, which stands for “Alert”, “Lockdown”, “Inform”, “Counter” and “Evacuate,” is the new safety procedure Portage Public Schools has incorporated in preparation for the case of a lock down.

Bridget Doyle, Staff Writer

Portage Central students will have their first ALICE training Tuesday during 4th hour.

Teachers will be sharing a Google Slides presentation and initiating direction and discussion over the new procedures associated with the new safety protocol.

ALICE is a school security procedure, standing for “Alert,” “Lockdown,” “Inform,” “Counter” and “Evacuate.” Nate Slavid, the school resource officer at Portage Northern, brought the idea to light once he realized that changing the designated system would make staff and students safer.

“ALICE is a response to what we learned from the Midwest 10 to 12 years ago with the school shootings we’ve had,” Principal Eric Alburtus said. “It’s really an attempt of to turn us from feeling like victims to us taking action and doing something.”

According to Alburtus, PC teachers have already had two meetings and have been trained for the new procedure. Teacher Aja Kaylor said the new procedures have taught her important lessons about school safety.

From our training, we have learned that most armed gunmen are expecting students to be easy targets, but when students fight back, gunmen are surprised, get distracted and fewer people are injured,” Kaylor said. “While it is scary to think about these situations, I feel like I am better prepared to make a real-time decision that gives my students and me the best chances of surviving an attack by an armed individual.”

On Tuesday during fourth hour, teachers will train all students on what to do in the event of a dangerous situation. Despite the time spent on training, the school day will continue as normal with its regular times, as administrators believe the training should only take 10 to 15 minutes. Students could potentially be drilled in January to test their understanding of ALICE. Overall, the results of training at Northern are coming back positive and Central hopes to follow in that path.

Many staff members, including Alburtus, look forward to the new changes and are hoping that they will be for the better.

“I’m grateful we’re making this change,” Alburtus said. “Our job, first and foremost, is to make sure people are safe and they feel safe. Hopefully, if we do things better, we’ll feel a little safer.”