Senior Dom Wilson achieves his 100th career victory in wrestling

Senior Dominick Wilson poses after his 100th career victory on Jan. 27.

Courtesy of Dominick Wilson

Courtesy of Dominick Wilson

Drew Goretzka, Sports Editor

Senior wrestler Dominick Wilson achieved his 100th victory on Jan. 27, with a win over a rival athlete from Grand Ledge High School. He is now the second centurion on the wrestling team, along with senior Garrett Stace.

Wilson started wrestling in the 8th grade after being pressured by his father. Upon introduction to the sport, he became addicted to the feeling of winning and proving himself on the mat.

“I enjoy being able to show the hard work that I put into wrestling and getting my hand raised,” Wilson said.

However, the draw to victory is not the only factor in Wilson’s success. Hundreds of hours of practice in the mat room contributed to building his skills that made him a centurion. Failure, repetition and learning from mistakes are all things that Wilson credits to reaching this milestone.

“It took hours of getting beat, learning, and sacrifice to get here,” Wilson said. “Not to mention a hatred for losing.”

Despite his achievements, Wilson does not plan on stopping at 100 wins. He has set many goals for himself, including progressing through the state tournament.

“I’m happy that I got [to 100], but my real goal is winning states,” Wilson said.

Looking towards the future, Wilson is considering pursuing a college career in wrestling. Multiple programs have offered scholarships, such as Olivet College and the United States Naval Academy.

See Wilson in action on Wednesday when the wrestling team takes on Portage Northern and Kalamazoo Central for the district championship. The event will start at 6 p.m. at Kalamazoo Central High School.