Media Center announces winner of Vinnie’s Cafe logo re-design contest

This logo was chosen by student vote out of a select variety of design contest submissions. It will be appearing around the school to represent the cafe shortly.

Artwork by Rebecca Frederkins

Artwork by Rebecca Frederkins

Zach Bumgarner, Student Life Editor

Vinnie’s is a longtime beloved coffee hub of Portage Central. Librarian Sara Brown is in charge of all matters concerning Vinnie’s and decided a new logo was necessary after the transfer of responsibility from the art department to the library. After a vote on the new Vinnie’s logo, a winner has been chosen.

Since ownership transferred from the Art department to the Library, it seemed like the right time to change things up and re-brand,” Brown said, “We cherish its roots so keeping the name was important to us, but we also wanted to give it a makeover that comes with new ownership and then too, to get people talking about Vinnie’s.”

Vinnie’s logo design contest winner, Senior Rebecca Frederkins

The winner of the logo contest is Senior Rebecca Federkins. Federkins has plenty of past experience with design as she is currently enrolled in IB Visual Arts SL.

I came up with the Vinnie’s design trying to maintain the idea of diversity and unity, represented in the different types of coffee cups,” Ferderkins said, “ It shows that, whatever your favorite brew, Vinnie’s has the coffee for everyone, and it’s a place where people can come together along with their different tastes and connect with one another.

Brown cannot wait to start using the new logo. She has several ideas on how to use the new face of the coffee shop.

“We have all sorts of ideas: t-shirts, stickers, and a variety of promotional items that we can use as giveaways. We don’t want to spoil all of our surprises so that’s all we can say,” Brown said.

Students can prepare to begin seeing the new signage as early as next month.