First ALICE drill in the district to be held on Tuesday, during second hour

The first ALICE drill will be held tomorrow, during second hour. Students should come prepared with a coat, as there is a possibility of evacuating outside.

Courtesy of AliceTraining.com

Caroline Maier, Staff Writer

Portage Central will be pioneering as the first school in the entire school district to test out the new ALICE drill on Tuesday.

Students should expect the drill to commence during second hour. Teachers, depending on their position in the school building will be assigning various procedures to students that are most ideal to their particular situation. Some possible practice procedures include listening to and interpreting emergency announcements, barricading the classroom, attacking the intruder and evacuation of the school building. It is advised for all students to bring a coat to their second hour class, as the ultimate goal of the ALICE drill is to evacuate outside, safely out of reach of the intruder.

The ALICE drill is completely different than the drill we are currently using by having the students react to their surroundings. For example students will run out of the building if the intruder is far away from them instead of waiting for them to come.

“The whole idea behind ALICE is that you try to figure out what is the best response and act in that way,” says principle Eric Alburtus.

Each time the school does the drill, it will be different because the actions depend on what the teacher and the students think is safe.The teachers also do not know what is going to happen during the drill, so they are preparing by asking a lot of questions.

Alburtus says that the reason why Portage Central is the first school to do the ALICE drill is because practice makes perfect and to do it right the school needs to be prepared. Even though the school will do something different each time, the practice will help the students get a feel for what the procedure will be like.

“If we are going to do this, and if we are going to do it right,” says Alburtus, “we’ve got to practice it.”

ALICE stands for alert, lock down, inform, counter and exit. The acronym describes what to do in the situation, and the teacher can decide which plan to use.