Classmates and staff discuss deadly school shootings after Florida

“When is enough, enough? At what point are things going to change?”

“When is enough, enough? At what point are things going to change?” - Biology Teacher Aja Kaylor

Kaoru Murai

Kaoru Murai

Ranya Jamal, Staff Writer

Nikolas Cruz killed 17 students at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida with an AR-15 rifle on Feb. 14, 2018.

The shooting left people across the nation demanding change, including students in this school. Biology teacher Aja Kaylor explains how the overabundance of school shootings have gotten out of hand.

“When is enough, enough? At what point are things going to change?” Kaylor said.

Sophomore Griffin Lantz said that the repetition of school shootings brings him more uncertainty coming to school than ever before, and sophomore Ben Kempisty explains he thinks schools should put more into making students feel more safe.

“I think schools could put more security outside monitoring entrances,” Kempisty said. “Yes, this would cost more money, but can you really put a price on life?”

Sophomore Maddie Lucht explains that an abundance of people hold the belief that stricter gun laws is a sure way to make students feel more safe, including her. She argues that the schools themselves don’t have many more options to make us feel more safe, but rather a higher authority does.

“I think it’s up to the leaders of our country to make school safer for kids, like creating better gun control laws,” Lucht said.

With new the new ALICE drill in place, staff often discuss how to make school safer to protect against shootings, and how they can be stopped in the first place, starting with the cause. English teacher James Phillips explains he thinks they take place due to poor decision making in short moments.

“I think it’s that people aren’t thinking through how they feel enough to handle things positively,” Phillips said.

Along with the gun control laws, biology teacher Aja Kaylor explains she thinks the root cause of these shootings is simply how easy it is to get a gun in America.

“Guns get in the hands of people who shouldn’t have them,” Kaylor said. “If we could just prohibit that from happening, then school shootings would not happen.”

In terms of prevention, School Resource Officer Houser believes reporting signs could potentially stop a shooting from happening entirely.

“Definitely let someone know about anything alarming you see because only you know about it, no one else knows” Houser said.

School shootings are being discussed more and the staff strongly encourage all students to report anything alarming on social media because they believe it could be the difference between having a school shooting happen and not having a school shooting happen.