Sophomore Sydney Libbing produces breathtaking works of art

Discover Libbing's beautiful artwork, and the work she puts into creating them

Grace Foster, Staff Writer

Art is a hobby that not everyone can grasp and be talented at, but Sydney Libbing, a sophomore at Portage Central, has spent her childhood painting and turned those skills into something that’s very important in her life.

Courtesy of Sydney Libbing
Acrylic on canvas painting done by Libbing.

Sophomore Sydney Libbing spends about 6 hours painting each week.

“My parents signed me up for art summer camps when I was younger and I was really into them,” Libbing said. “That was really my first outlet to art, and once I started those, I was introduced to more options and classes and continued on with classes and trying new types of art up until now.”

Libbing’s favorite form of art is painting due to the amount of depth and detail it contains and she spends majority of her time doing so. She generally paints about 6 hours a week, mostly on Saturdays.

Most of Libbing’s time painting is done at the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts (KIA), where she also takes lessons every Saturday. This is where all of her beautiful art is created and her skills are taught.

“I haven’t entered my art in any competitions, but I have had my art in the KIA through school and I had 9 of my paintings hung in the KIA gallery for about four or five months last year.” Libbing said.

However, she cannot spend all of her time painting or spending time at the KIA, since she is a very academically involved student: taking classes both at school and the Kalamazoo Math and Science Center. This proves to be a burden upon her while trying to extensively incorporate art in her life.

As for Libbing’s future, she doesn’t plan on continuing her art skills into a career, but she’ll always keep it as a hobby she’ll remember and use the skills to help her in her pursuit of going into the medical field.