Westnedge Ave. entrance to the parking lot will be blocked beginning after Spring Break

Students will no longer be able to enter or exit the parking lot through the Westnedge entrance, and may lead to heavier traffic

Map explaining the new traffic patterns around Portage Central High School.

Courtesy of Portage Public Schools

Courtesy of Portage Public Schools

Jack Shinabarger, Staff Writer

Starting April 9, students will no longer be able to use the Westnedge Avenue entrance for either entering the parking lot or leaving it. New traffic patterns will be introduced to curb the flow of cars into the correct areas. All students must come in through the Mustang Drive entrance and all parents dropping of their kids must use the student drop-off there as well.

This adjustment is necessary since the construction of the new Central Middle School will begin. Construction will continue on for the next two years until the school is completed.

This will introduce plenty of problems for students and parents alike. First, traffic will undoubtedly build up around Centre Avenue as students who drive will have to take the entrance on Mustang Drive. This will cause great difficulties for those who are trying to get in and park, as there will be more students and cars concentrated in that area.

Secondly, students leaving the student parking will have to wait a long time to leave after school ends. Traditionally, kids parking on the west side will most likely leave through the Westnedge exit, and those who park on the east side leave using Mustang Drive. This balance of traffic will now undoubtedly shift, as everybody will need to use a single exit to leave the parking lot.

The next two years will be difficult for students and parents alike, but it’s important to adapt to this new change to prevent the creation of any other issues.

Visit the Portage Public Schools website here, for more information: https://portageps.org/chs/