Mustang Forensics team begins a promising season by winning first place for the first time in 18 years at the Grand Rapids Christian Invitational

Rowan Thawley, Staff Writer

Courtesy of Griffin Lantz on Instagram (@griffin_lantz)

From the left, sophomore Griffin Lantz and sophomore Jada Thrash at the Grand Rapids Christian Forensics Invitational.

The Mustang “4N6” team started their season off strong, holding promises of a successful speaking season. On Saturday, March 10, the Portage Central High Forensics Team participated in their second competition of the season, the Grand Rapids Christian Invitational competition, where they ended up taking first place for the first time in 18 years.

However, competition from strong opponent schools didn’t make taking first place easy.

“[Portage] Northern was definitely our biggest rival. We hadn’t beat them in the sweepstakes awards in 18 years, until this competition,” sophomore Jake Beauprez said.

From arriving to the competition at 7:30 a.m. to leaving around 7:00 p.m., students participated at the event for their entire Saturday. The forensics team worked hard for their accomplishments, and they were very proud of the end result.

“We worked really hard and it paid off,” Beauprez said.