PC Bassoon Trio exhibits exceptional talent at the State Solo & Ensemble Festival and qualifies for Michigan Youth Arts Festival

Sophomore Joe Sturdy and juniors Jake Crouse and Ian McCurdy discuss the secrets behind their massive success as an unusual combination

From the left, junior Ian McCurdy, junior Jake Crouse and sophomore Joe Sturdy pose after their State Solo & Ensemble bassoon performance.

Courtesy of Joe Sturdy on Instagram (@jsturdy.exe)

Ethan Lee, Staff Writer

The PC bassoon trio with their bassoons at the District Solo & Ensemble festival held at Schoolcraft High School. From the left, junior Ian McCurdy, junior Jake Crouse and sophomore Joe Sturdy.

Portage Central’s music program has had recognition for excellence in the past years, and nothing  exemplifies this more than the PC Bassoon Trio.

The PC Bassoon Trio, consisting of sophomore Joseph Sturdy and juniors Jake Crouse and Ian McCurdy, performed exceptionally well at the State Solo & Ensemble, where student musicians— either individual or group—play in front of judges in an effort to achieve the highest possible rating, a “superior” rating.

The trio earned the rating they sought; however, behind the success was hard work.

“The bassoon trio accomplished what we accomplished because we practice a lot together; we’ve had this music since last year and have been putting it together all this year,” sophomore Joseph Sturdy said.

“We have sleepovers, and we’ll be practicing until 3 a.m., [although] casually,” said Sturdy, who acknowledges the bond between the trio members.

Nevertheless, junior Ian McCurdy still says that “as a trio, [they] usually do around three to seven” hours of practice together each week.

“Last year, I had the idea of making a bassoon trio; we talked to the Flynns about it, [and] they found us a piece that we’ve been playing lately,” McCurdy said. “Unfortunately, due to schedules, Joe and Jake were both in forensics and the musical. This year, Joe decided not to do the musical, so we had a lot [more] practice time and we got together more often.”

The bassoon trio accomplished what we accomplished because we practice a lot together.”

— Sophomore Joe Sturdy

Their showing earned them a chance to play at the prestigious Michigan Youth Arts Festival held at Western Michigan University, where fewer than 1,000 students are chosen from a field of 250,000. Students from all over the state have a chance to showcase their talents in the musical arts from all categories and enjoy the spectacular melodies between May 10 to 12, when the festival is held.