The PC Symphonic Band will be featured tonight at the 50th Anniversary performance of the Wind & Percussion Music Spring Conference

Members of the PC Symphonic Band.

Courtesy of PC Bands

Members of the PC Symphonic Band.

Lauren McColley, Staff Writer

The PC Symphonic Band has been invited to play at the 50th Anniversary performance of the Wind and Percussion Music Spring 

Conference that will be held at Miller Auditorium. The free
event will take place today, April 19, and our band is scheduled to play at 2:45 p.m.

“This conference is most prominent of its kind in the state because it features a composer in residence and all the larger ensembles will program one of his works to perform,” said band director Patrick Flynn. “This year, the composer is Michael Markowski from NYC.”

Flynn says that the Symphonic Band was invited last August to perform and they started compiling a music repertoire list throughout the fall until they narrowed it down to a few selections. The Symphonic Band has been rehearsing and preparing parts of the music selections since November. They displayed a few of the works at their Holiday Collage in December, and more of the repertoire at their March Concert. The last of their music was performed at a series of concerts last week with the WMU Concert Band and on April 17, at their Conference Preview Concert.

Flynn said some of the works that the Symphonic Band is performing are the following: joyRIDE, Suite of Old American Dances, Song for Lyndsay, Excursions, Shepherd’s Hey, Melodious Thunk, and Wedding Dance.

“The Conference Concert is 60 minutes of great music,” said Flynn. “The Symphonic Band has been working very hard on preparing and presenting a great concert, and playing on stage at Miller Auditorium will be a fantastic experience for all!”

Senior Ella Foley said the band has a total of seven pieces, one of which has three movements. She is in the woodwind ensemble which includes 13 people from the full band and they have been invited to play their solo and ensemble piece.

“I know that my band teachers Mr. and Mrs. Flynn are extremely excited and proud to be invited to this event and have taken preparations for the concert very seriously,” said Foley. ¨I’ve enjoyed preparing for it and overall am excited to perform!”

1 Comment

One Response to “The PC Symphonic Band will be featured tonight at the 50th Anniversary performance of the Wind & Percussion Music Spring Conference”

1. Patrick Flynn on April 19th, 2018 10:11 am

Thank you for your support!