PC “4N6” Team finishes their season successfully at state competition

Senior Ben Miller poses with his team mates after winning first place in the Extemporaneous category.

Courtesy of Ben Miller

Jack Juday, Sports Editor

While a large portion of the student body was partying it up at prom last saturday, the forensics team was battling it out for state champion recognition at Oakland Community College.

28 students qualified for the state competition this year, and 22 of them made it into the semifinals. This is the highest number of qualifiers in 20 years for Portage Central.

The team earned their way to the state tournament by dominating the regional tournament. They placed 27 of their 28 competitors.

Ben Miller, a senior forensicator, earned himself first place in the Extemporaneous category. He and 5 other students were awarded 1st place in various categories.

Extemporaneous speech is a limited – preparation speech based on research and original analysis.

“It was a great experience. There is nothing like going to the Forensics state meet and performing for two days straight,” Miller said, “I’m really excited because I got 1st place in Extemporaneous speech and the team came in 4th in the state. Overall, it was a very successful state competition.”

Forensics has taught Miller some very important lessons, but the most obvious one was deemed most important to him.

“The ability to speak in public in front of audiences is one of the most important skills someone can have,” Miller said, “Forensics has allowed me to feel comfortable speaking to people and doing so in an effective way.”