Women’s varsity tennis team lead an undefeated season in the SMAC conference

Maggie Farrell, Staff Writer

The women’s varsity tennis team is having quite the season. They are currently undefeated in the SMAC conference.

Head varsity coach Peter Militzer said that the team has 15 girls earning their varsity letters. However, due to to injuries and illnesses they have 12 of the 15 girls currently playing in matches.

Militzer stated that the girls are having their best season to date. They have won all eleven of their matches this season, putting them in the coveted number one spot in the SMAC conference.

“I think that we are a lot more bonded this year because last year I was a freshman and now I know the seniors and juniors a lot better,” sophomore Kimberly Kovacik said. “It just makes us really good and dynamic with each other.”

In tennis, each individual match is worth one point. With an 11-0 record, the Mustangs have won eleven matches total.

“For a dual match, there are 8 points – 4 individual singles matches and 4 individual doubles matches,” Militzer said regarding the scoring system. “Each of those matches is worth one point, so it is conceivable that we could tie.Tournaments use all sorts of different scoring systems, but there is one things that is fairly consistent: every individual match is worth one point.”

Each weekday, the team either has practice or a tournament. Tournaments frequently also occur on Saturdays as well.

With still a small remainder of the season, the Mustangs are working hard to achieve their end of season goal together as a team. Militzer said that they are working to win conference, become regional champs, as well as qualify for the MHSAA state tournament.

“The end of season goal is to rank somewhere high in regionals, if not first place,” Kovacik said. “Also [we want] to do well at states and just to see everybody improve from last year.”