Gardening Club “blooms” into the new school year with an abundant harvest

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seniors Kendall Hannemann and Kate Deming pose in front of the Portage Central Community Garden with a school grown pumpkin.

Courtesy of Kendall Hannemann

Courtesy of Kendall Hannemann

Courtesy of Kendall Hannemann

Ethan Campbell, Videographer

The Portage Central Gardening Club works to give students community service hours while exercising a green thumb throughout the school.

According to senior Owen Crocker, the club plants crop in their garden, and harvests them later on in the season.

“In the fall, we harvest a lot of foods and plants that we grew over the summer,” Crocker says. “In the spring, we clean up the school’s landscape and prep for the summer by planting a bunch of different foods”.

The club donates the crop they produce to the neighboring Portage Community Center, providing an effective way for students to give back to the community.

Ethan Campbell
The Portage Central Community Garden, created and maintained by the Gardening Club. The club meets each Thursday to plant new plants and crop, as well as harvest and donate them to the community.

Students, such as senior Kendall Hannemann join the club because it is a way for them to spend time after school with their friends while also getting CAS hours for the IB Diploma Program.

“A lot of us join gardening club because it’s a fun activity to do after school, and it’s nice to spend time outside: plus, we get service hours,” Hannemann said.

Crocker states that this year’s turnout has been good so far with an abundance of new members joining. They are currently selling last year’s club t-shirts to any new member who joins.

“The Garden Club t-shirts have two hands on the back holding a plant, and on the front there is the state of Michigan with a patch of green over the thumb, symbolizing a green thumb,” Hannemann says.

The PC Gardening Club is lead by junior Michelle Wadas in Mrs. Alburtus’ room every Thursday after school.