Democrats club joins forces with the Portage Northern Democrats

Portage Central senior Kirby Snow met with Kalamazoo state representative Jon Hoadley as part of the Democrats Club.

Courtesy of Kirby Snow

Courtesy of Kirby Snow

Zach Bumgarner, Sports Editor

With midterm elections approaching, politically affiliated school clubs are in full force. This is true at our school: especially the Democrats club led by senior Lucas Guy.

Democrats club has taken a turn this year and has combined forces with the active Democrats of Portage Northern High School. This change is taking place as members wished to have a larger influence with more people.

“ We wanted to further our conversation.” Guy said. “We wanted to have a bunch of people with different backgrounds to be there.”

The club holds meetings every Wednesday after school in Mrs. Phipp’s room at 3:05 pm, during which they they discuss all kinds of political issues and important current events.

“At the last meeting we talked about what Brett Kavanaugh being nominated into the Supreme Court means.” Guy said. “We also talk a lot about midterms [elections] and what we can do if we aren’t of age [to vote] yet.”

The club plans on campaigning before election day as a group as well as hosting a candidate visit during the next few weeks.

Portage Northern senior Elena Aleman is excited about all the opportunities a two school club could bring.

“I think it will be more beneficial to do a joint club because then we can have two schools coming together to change their community,” Aleman said. “One of our main goals is to promote involvement with students to get them to participate and care about their future.”

Currently meetings mainly take place at Portage Central while Portage Northern students commute across town. In the future, they hope to gain clearance to hold meetings at both high schools.

Democrats club is eager to encourage anyone who has even the smallest interest in politics to come to their next meeting.

1 Comment

One Response to “Democrats club joins forces with the Portage Northern Democrats”

1. Kylie Clifton on October 25th, 2018 11:37 am

This is a great piece of news! Occasionally news can be overtly factual but to the point of no interest, but this is captivating to the point of interest for news and topic, great work!