Portage Central Men’s Soccer are SMAC Champions again!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seniors Elliot Greathouse and Jason Mih in action.

Courtesy of Jason Mih

Courtesy of Jason Mih

Courtesy of Jason Mih

Ethan Lee, Opinion Editor & Business Manager

The PC men’s varsity soccer team—currently ranked third in the state according to the Michigan High School Soccer Coaches Association—has once again retained the title of champion in the Southwest Michigan Athletic Conference (SMAC) after a tense and hard-fought victory over Mattawan last Tuesday.

“We feel good that we won, although it was a bit too close at times, and we could have done better,” said junior Kevin Wang, who played in the game. Wang said that the season has been going “pretty well,” but he also acknowledges that the team still has much to improve, and that not playing at the team’s best is way for opposing teams to win.

“I think it’s just relaxing and just playing how we know we can play, instead of letting all the pressure get to us,” he said. “We have a lot of really good players, so even when we play bad, we still are better than everyone else.”

Junior Devin Horn, another player on the team, is currently nursing a broken wrist, but is still supportive of his team mates’ efforts.

“I like [the win],” Horn said, “and it was a good win from our whole team. I feel like our whole team that game worked together better than we did all season, so it was really cool to see us come together like that.”

“In the first half, we were actually tied 0-0, then in the second half, we scored right off the bat,” he said. “Then [Mattawan] scored, and it kind of came back on us. But we just rallied together to get the goal and get that dub, you know?”

Although Horn notes that the team has difficulties—not having a home field and playing all their games at nearby Portage Northern —he is impressed with how much the team has accomplished.

“Our team always finds a way to win,” he said. “Our team is really hard-working, and very determined. This is the best team I’ve been part of in my whole life, so I’m really excited to see how far we’ll go.”

Edit: The team advanced to play Okemos High School on October 16th, but fell in a heartbreaking loss to end the season.