The “scary good” Portage Central Marching Band remains undefeated once again

The+2018+PCMB+show%2C+%22It%27s+Time%22+represents+the+change+in+society+that+has+taken+place+over+the+years.+This+show+successfully+brought+the+band+their+third+undefeated+season+in+a+row.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The 2018 PCMB show,

The 2018 PCMB show, "It's Time" represents the change in society that has taken place over the years. This show successfully brought the band their third undefeated season in a row.

Courtesy of Portage Central Bands

Courtesy of Portage Central Bands

Courtesy of Portage Central Bands

Liz Williams, Staff Writer

This year, the marching band achieved their third undefeated season in a row. At their last competition in East Kentwood, the band received an astounding final score of 97.6. Their theme, “It’s Time” is 

centered on how music has changed over the years, and has successfully swept the judges off of their feet once again. The band played “Yesterday” by The Beatles, “Clocks” by Coldplay, “Rise” by Katy Perry and “No Day But Today” from the musical, “Rent”. The students feel overjoyed about their big win and satisfied after all of the dedication put into it. 

“All of our seniors have worked pretty hard for the past four years so it’s nice that they ended it on a high note,” said sophomore Carly Wolfe.

Throughout the season, the band had an outstanding work ethic with great focus and determination; although they had some challenges as they worked to perfect their performances. The weather was not very pleasant, requiring them to march in cold and wet conditions, which affected their instruments. But that didn’t stop them from achieving their goals and giving a spectacular show. Also this season, the band had lost a number of experienced seniors, challenging them to work up to a high expectation.

Jay Pike
The PCMB drum line, in which sophomore Jon Esposito is affiliated with.

“It started out uneasy, we had a lot of newbies but they learned quickly and worked hard,” said sophomore Jon Esposito.

Esposito says that many people had to step up, especially for the drum line but it made everyone stronger as a band. Students don’t know what to expect for the next season but they are looking forward to having fun and hopefully carrying on the winning streak.