Pittsburgh synagogue attack wreaks havoc upon the hearts of closely affiliated students within our community

"Social media is a breeding ground for those who wish to share their disgusting opinions"

The Pittsburgh synagogue attack as a cause for concern, as hate crimes become more prevalent in the current political climate.

Courtesy of flickr.com

Courtesy of flickr.com

Jack Juday, Co-Sports Editor

Last saturday, 46 year-old Robert Bowers stormed into a jewish synagogue in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and open fired his AR-15. He killed 11 people, and sent bullets at police during the aftermath. He was quickly arrested afterwards.

This nation-wide tragedy hit a soft spot at Portage Central. Alyson Miller, a junior, is a former resident of Pittsburgh. Her old home is only a few blocks away from the synagogue, and her family was directly affected by the shooting.

“I am Jewish, and the Jewish community in Pittsburgh is very close-knit,” Miller said, “I knew a ton of people who attended that temple, and my mom actually knew two of the brothers that passed away in the shooting.”

The involvement of anti-semitism in the shooting brings another issue into light. The hatred of others for things like religion and race are still prominent in America.

“It is sad to think that these innocent people were shot just because they were expressing their religion and their beliefs,” Miller said.

Miller believes that Portage isn’t a place that religious people should be afraid of, though. She has never personally felt unsafe because of her beliefs and feels that there is no judgement here and people allow others to express their religion freely.   

Social media is a breeding ground for those who wish to share their disgusting opinions and not have to deal with the consequences of a face to face interaction”

— Maya Morse

However, Maya Morse, a junior, has not been left unscathed.

“The reason for the attack struck me personally,” Morse said. “I had been harrassed for the same exact reason by people in the past.”

The suspect, Robert Bowers, was discovered to be a frequent social media user, expressing his hatred towards the Jewish religion using social media platforms. Morse believes that social media is a place where hate crimes begin.

“Social media is a breeding ground for those who wish to share their disgusting opinions and not have to deal with the consequences of a face to face interaction,” Morse said. “The solution is to comprehend that religious discrimination is very much alive and well in America. Report any possibly threatening interactions to an authority figure.”