Two time Olympic gold medalist, Lindsay Tarpley returns to Portage Central to speak on personal goals and striving to do better

Back to Article
Back to Article

Two time Olympic soccer gold winner and former mustang Lindsay Tarpley visits to speak on the importance of setting goals and working towards them.

Ranya Jamal

Ranya Jamal

Ranya Jamal

Ranya Jamal, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, April 24, two-time Olympic gold medalist Lindsay Tarpley spoke on goal setting and hard work during seventh hour in front of many students and athletes.

Tarpley said she was especially excited to speak to students because Tarpley herself is a Portage Central alum. She said she knows her goals and career began at this school, so current students can do the same.

Tarpley highlighted a pivotal moment in her soccer career: when she scored a goal during the final game in the 2008 Beijing Olympics against Brazil.

When discussing this event, she adds, “Every single day you have the decision to be the best decision of yourself. Everyday.”

She continues on to say that without making the decisions everyday to be the best version of herself, she could have never made that goal.

Aside from putting in work, Tarpley stressed how important it is to take risks. She knew she wanted to play soccer at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She was worried that she wasn’t good enough.

“I took the risk of playing soccer there, aside from my worries, and in my freshman and sophomore year, I was soccer player of the year nationwide,” Tarpley said.

When questions were opened up to students, many were curious as to how she balanced school, sports, and a social life. Her biggest advice to students is to surround yourself with those that bring out the best in you and help you out the most.