Vaping takes a toll on today’s high school teens

Back to Article
Back to Article

Nick Meyle, Staff Writer

Earlier this year, Governor Gretchen Whitmer made headlines when she announced that her office would be pursuing a ban on flavored vapes in the state and a total ban on vaping for minors. Soon after, the federal government seconded her motion with President Trump, despite being of a different political party than the governor, also announcing a possible ban on the product. Since then, however, vaping has continued to be an ongoing issue within highschools.

According to CBS News, teen vaping has increased drastically, with 28% of high school students reporting that they had at least tried using an e-cigarette. 60% of those surveyed said that Juul was their preferred brand of vape. 

Principal Eric Alburtus made an unexpected announcement on Tuesday morning addressing the topic of vaping in the school. 

For as long as vapes have existed, they have been here at PC despite our efforts to prevent them,” Alburtus said during the announcement. “Over the years students here have earned our trust — the vast majority of you make thoughtful decisions, every day, and we are really grateful for that. And on occasion, some don’t and we work through that, too.

Bathrooms tend to be a common area where vaping takes place, as they are secluded and have no cameras for privacy reasons. This has prompted administrators and law enforcement to look at new ways to combat vaping usage.

“We’ve been hearing a lot from students reporting that they have been seeing and having trouble getting into the bathroom due to vaping.” Tama Salisbury, Vice Principal, said.  “It is not okay.”

Efforts will continue to fight vaping usage, but whether or not it will stop is unknown for sure.

Photo Credits: NBC News