How COVID-19 will affect college admissions

Griffin Colosky, Staff Writer

For many upperclassmen, the outbreak of the novel coronavirus is causing a great deal of uncertainty surrounding the college admissions process. With both high schools and colleges canceling the remainder of their school year, the current pandemic is already proving to complicate the process.

For seniors who have already been admitted, the nationwide closure of college campuses can make it difficult to decide which school to attend. Taking tours of the different campuses is typically extremely helpful to incoming students, as it gives them a better idea of what everyday life at that school might be like.

However, with college campuses being shut down, these seniors are no longer able to take campus tours. Instead, schools are providing virtual campus tours online, which are far less useful when compared to an in-person experience.

Juniors will have to endure an unusual testing and admissions process, as both SAT and ACT tests have been canceled through June. There are currently many unanswered questions about whether colleges will even require an SAT or ACT score with applications. 

According to the College Board, they will provide weekend SAT administrations every month through the end of the calendar year beginning in August. There will also be a new test administration in September alongside the previously scheduled tests on Aug. 29, Oct. 3, Nov. 7 and Dec. 5.

Although these are only a few of the ways that college admissions will be affected, it is impossible to accurately predict how this pandemic will play out, and only over time will we know its true impact on the admissions process.

PC: Niche.com