How students are adapting to online learning

Sydney Pieper, Staff Writer

Many of us students have dreamed of not having to wake up and go to school for the rest of the year. We prayed for no tests, not having to wake up at 6:30 and not having the stress of huge assignments. However, none of us imagined what is happening now and what our days would soon consist of. Now we have no other choice. We do all of our assignments from home online and are given about a week to complete them. 

Many students have different opinions on the work that is assigned. Some feel as if it is just busy work, and others say that it is in fact necessary. 

Junior Reagan Hoff feels that adapting to this new way of learning is tough because there are no strict guidelines to follow. Hoff likes to follow strict schedules, but because there isn’t one to follow, she finds herself at a loss of motivation to do any of her work. She also finds it hard to make enough time to complete it during the week because her days are filled with babysitting. 

“I haven’t adapted to online learning as much as I would have liked to because there’s no real schedule due to babysitting, so I find myself doing all my assignments over the weekend or right before the assignments are due,” Hoff said. 

Hoff believes that many of the classes, including IB, are “busy work” to keep our brains active for the upcoming year. She doesn’t feel that this work should be graded because they don’t count towards GPAs or any future work.

For many, the struggle of all of this is just finding the motivation to do it as they usually end up completing it the night before.

For Junior Malerie Klawender, she finds herself completing the assignments the day before they are due. She dislikes online learning because the learning is through a screen and the lack of interaction makes it difficult to learn and understand. Klawender believes that she learns best through writing and in-person interaction. 

“I would have to say that my favorite thing about online learning though would be the fact that there are no tests and quizzes and that we get an entire week to do the assignments,” Klawender said. 

The new “regular” of not having to follow the “traditional” school schedule is exciting and fun because there are no rules to follow, other than finishing the assignment on time to get the easy 50 points. Although, it is understandable why many of the students feel that the assignments aren’t necessary or relevant to anything if they aren’t being quizzed or tested on any of the material. But those that are in many IB classes feel that the work is necessary.

For Junior Caleb Pung, he feels that the IB work that is assigned is necessary because it helps keep you interactive and caught up with the stuff that will be taught the following year. Pung feels that the assignments that are given to those students in two-year IB classes are valuable because they’re receiving content that will help them score well on their IB exams. 

However, what Pung dislikes most about learning online is that it isn’t really learning.

“To me, it’s like why do we even have teachers if we just have to teach all of the work to ourselves. I understand that we have the option to ask for help, but I feel that most kids would rather not take another hour out of their day to ask for help on an assignment given to them,” Pung said. “I think that we should receive more direction rather than just getting an assignment and being expected to do it ourselves.”

For everyone adapting to this online learning, we have to continue to push through and finish the year strong, whether that’s tackling the task head on and instantly, or whether it’s done the day that it’s due, it is important to get your work done on time and efficiently.

PC: eLearning Industry